Friday, November 23, 2018

1 of 16

On week ago Friday I got my first dose of AC (Adriamycin/Cytotoxin) chemotherapy at the infusion center in Wenatchee. The experience itself wasn't too bad.  Steven drove me so we got some nice time together.  Arrived at 0825, labs at 0830.  It was the first time they access my port in my chest, so I didn't have any idea what that would be like.  Since I still pretty much have no feeling in my chest, the big old needle connecting to my port didn't hurt at all, so that was a bonus.  After labs, we waited to see my oncologist.  When we chatted with Dr. J, she said all my lab/blood work looked good, and I was ready to go.  (I mean we talked more than that but this is the cliffs notes version because I'm super tired right now).


Accessing my port.  There is a giant needle stuck into it.



Back to the infusion room for a whole bunch of stuff through my port.  Including two big old red syringes of "red death" aka Adriamycin.  They made my mouth taste weird.  Somehow whenever I have an IV, I taste it, at least initially.  Kinda gross.  Anyway... infusion bonuses: Wifi worked and I was able to watch TV for a few hours, it was interesting to learn the process, and  I napped a little bit, I resisted eating all the bad for me cookies that I wanted, Steve's ex-coworker's wife was there too (hi Tina!) so I got to meet them and Steve got to speak his love language of diesel engine's to a friend for a while.
My view at the infusion center


Nurse B finishing up the syringe of red nasty crap.
Anyway, it went well and I was home recovering this week.  I don't feel good.  But I don't feel terrible... sort of like a hangover that won't go away, and somehow I could sleep for hours and hours and hours?  And my bones hurt from the Neulasta, which is helping my marrow go into overdrive production of white blood cells.  I think the only reason I don't feel 100% horrible is because Steve has been regulating my meds to help me with the nausea, among other things (you know like ummmm bowel issues).  Thanks hubs :)  Yesterday on Thanksgiving I actually felt pretty good.  We took a family walk in the snow, and I had the energy to re-arrange under my bathroom sink with a bunch of fun new soap product gifts I've received (thanks friends!).  Following a nap, we had a nice dinner next door at the Saugens with my momma too.  Low key, but just right :)  Unfortunately I'm paying for my "active" day today by waking up tired, nauseous and with a headache...  Time for a nap I guess.

If I'm being honest, I've also been a bit emotional and bummed. I'm so so so grateful for all your support, but man I just keep wishing no one had to alter their lives on my account.  I am just hopeful to pass along some of this amazing support I have to someone else in need someday.   And for now I will just keep doing this day to day to day, knowing that the joyful moments will keep on coming if I look for them!  Even if sometimes they only show up in hindsight, I know they are there, thanks be to God.


Three times I begged the Lord to make this suffering go away.  But He replied, "My gift of undeserved grace is all you need.  My power is strongest when you are weak." So if Christ keeps giving me his power, I will gladly brag about how weak I am.  Yes, I am glad to be weak or insulted or mistreated or to have troubles and sufferings, if it is for Christ.  Because when I am weak, I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12:8-10 (CEV)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We love you and never cease prayers for you all. ❤ Love the verse from 2nd Corinthians. Thank you so much for posting and sharing.