Sunday, November 11, 2018

attitudes lately and chemo plans

I am often struck by things I want to write about at inconvenient times - when I'm driving, while at work, when cooking dinner, while in Church, while about to fall asleep...  Recently I've composed posts in my head that I would have called "Rejoicing" and "Mourning" and "Chemo Plans" and "Moving Forward" but none of them made it out of my head on to the blog.  But now you have the gist of where my head and heart have been the last few weeks.

The thing I've been most scared of through this whole process is the great unknown.  I have spent my entire life and career being prepared for the future.  Recognizing that I can't control everything and it's too exhausting to try, I've still built in programs into how I work to ensure that deliverables are completed and projects carry on if I have to take some time off (vacations, maternity leave etc).  I've planned home life to ensure that kids can do their sports, legos, playdates etc that I can get help with rides, but I'm there at the end of every activities to ensure that dinner is eaten, showers are taken, and snuggles are obtained all around.  Surgery recovery has already shown me that I can't begin to expect how to plan for this whole cancer scenario and it is really hard for me, mentally...  I thought for sure I'd be ready to go two weeks after surgery, back to work 100%, but I'm not quire up to par three weeks out.  Sigh.  SO HOW DO I PLAN FOR CHEMO??  I can't.  It's the worst.  So I just have to trust God that it will all work out in the day-to-day.  In the meantime here are some current highs and lows and in-betweens:

Sometime during the surgery, it sounds like my long thoracic nerve got stretched (hopefully not cut).  As a result, my back muscles are not working correctly and my scapula is "winging" when I try to lift up my right arm.  Since the back muscle isn't engaging, if I lift my arm my neck muscles are the ones doing the work, so I'm trying to avoid that.  My OT and I are hoping that the nerve will repair itself, but for now I'm on a "no lifting" with my right arm plan.  Pain in the butt for a right armed person, you know?  I'm thankful for my OT in Wenatchee.  She has also been helping me learn massage techniques for lymphatic drainage of my right arm.  Since I am terrified of lymphedema, I like having these tools in my kit so that if it shows up, I can start treatment immediately.  She's also been very encouraging with the nerve stuff - and thinks that it's slowly improving, so I'm going with that.  On the positive side, my left arm is a champ, has full range of mobility, and only very minor swelling and pain.

I had a pretty down day yesterday.  I have been more joyful that not in these past few weeks so I guess it's natural to switch and have some time where I was mourning "Jennifer before cancer".  It was a GORGEOUS day in Plain, and I was home alone in the house, again...  All the things I really wanted to do around the house to prep for winter (gardening/raking/prep kid snow clothes, organize outdoor gear) include using a right arm, so those were out.  My sister was in town but I hadn't seen her yet, and my glance at Instagram told me that everyone I knew was out enjoying the beautiful weather and that life was good.  I think I let Satan get in my head and it was making me miserable.  So I put on my running shoes and laced them up, added a fleece, plugged in some praise music, and took the dogs for a walk up to the ditch.  I cried a little and hummed along to the music a little, and pet the dogs while they trotted beside me.  Thankfully, by the time I got to the trail back down to the road, I was praising God for the goodness around me and though I felt physically lonely, I was reminded that I wasn't alone.  And by then Kirsten had gotten to my house, and Steve and the boys were on their way home.  Sometimes a little fresh air in the lungs and blue sky in the air reminds me of the many, many blessings I have just by living here in Plain.

Chemotherapy will start for me on Friday the 16th.  I will start with 4 infusions of AC (adriamycin/cytotoxin). Infusions will take place every two weeks.  Following AC, I will have 12 weekly infusions of Taxol.  In combo with all this I get to have Aloxi (prevents nausea), Emend and Dexamethone (to prevent nausea), and Neulasta (to stimulate white blood cell production).  They also send you home with two other nausea medicines and Lorazepam for nausea or anxiety.  Gross - all that unnatural stuff in my system.  I am going to try to manage some of the symptoms with more homeopathic remedies including short term fasting before and after chemo infusions, essential oils application, CBD oils, and whatever else I need to keep a smile on my face.  I'm going to attempt working 16-20 hours a week during this time too - WISH ME LUCK!  Like I said earlier, the unknown is hard for me, so I've made very tentative plans and hope I can exceed my own expectations for staying healthy.

I leave you with a few photos - those I can take from my easy chair :)  I have some good pictures of what my chest scars looks like but I am not quite sure if it's appropriate for this audience... since I'm honestly not sure who this audience is, ha!  They are healing up and hopefully I can handle looking at them up until my reconstruction which is likely about 18+ months out.

Thanks for your encouragement and prayers - they are keeping me mostly joyful throughout this crazy unexpected and long process.  God is good, all the time, and this is no exception.





7 comments:

Unknown said...

I’m so encouraged by your posts Jenn, thank you for being raw and real. You continue to be on my prayer list!
Bree

Mary Ann J-Z said...

I just reconnected with your blog. Well written, honest and full of heart...as you are. I do not know and will not to pretend to know how you feel. I've only been a spectator in the devastating world of cancer but I can understand the feeling of loss of control.

Please don't be hard on yourself. Cry, stomp, scream...you are allowed. And don't get caught up in the social "happy" posts. People don't post pictures of themselves in their sweats with bed hair feeling like dog poo poo.

You are loved so very much. If I can do something...a casserole for dinner, just to sit with or a walk, let me know. I am available, I just don't want to butt in. Love, ma

Unknown said...

Jennifer,
The honesty with which you express yourself is heartwarming. You have always been and will continue to be one of the strongest of our huge tribe. I pray that the set back with your back/muscles repairs itself without much pain. Please, listen to your docs and therapist as you have been - you will prevail!
We love you more than you know. Until we see you (either at the wedding or another reunion) again, know that we are walking this journey right by your side. Love, Aunt Chris (cuz)

Unknown said...

Even though it's been years since we've seen each other, I think of you often and hold you dear to my heart. As a friend, fellow mom, and hater of cancer, I pray for healing and love and peace and (yes) laughter thru all this crap. I've always loved how you "keep it real" and I admire how you continue to do so on this journey of yours right now. I'd say most of us would be experiencing the same emotions as you (although I don't think I could ever hold it together to write as eloquently as you did) if we were in your shoes. You are such a stong woman and spirit. Hold strong my dear. Much love ❤️❤️❤️

MargiecWildon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Margie Wilson said...

It’s a rough healing road you are on. Your writing is scary and positive. I think and pray for you daily. Healing and comfort blessing to you and yours.

Madonaldo said...

MY NAME IS ALECIA MALDONADO FROM SOUTH AFRICA...I SAW THIS COMMENT ON POSITIVE BLOGS AND I WILL LOVE TO TELL EVERYBODY HOW MY STATUS CHANGES TO NEGATIVE, AND AM NOW A LIVING WITNESS OF IT AND I THINK ITS A SHAME ON ME IF I DON'T SHARE THIS LOVELY STORY WITH OTHER PEOPLE INFECTED WITH THIS DEADLY VIRUS...,HIV HAS BEEN ONGOING IN MY FAMILY... I LOST BOTH PARENTS TO HIV,. AND IT IS SO MUCH PAIN IVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET OVER.. AS WE ALL KNOW MEDICALLY THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO IT..AND MEDICATION IS VERY EXPENSIVE..SO SOMEONE INTRODUCED ME TO A NATIVE MEDICAL PRACTITIONER IN AFRICA..I HAD A JOB THERE TO EXECUTE SO I TOOK TIME TO CHECK OUT ON HIM.I SHOWED HIM ALL MY TESTS AND RESULTS.. I WAS ALREADY DIAGNOSED WITH HIV AND IT WAS ALREADY TAKING ITS TOWL ON ME.. I HAD SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS SO I DECIDED TO TRY HIM OUT...I WAS ON HIS DOSAGE FOR 6MONTHS. ALTHOUGH I DIDNT BELIEVE IN IT, I WAS JUST TRYING IT OUT OF FRUSTRATION... AND AFTER 2 WEEKS, I WENT FOR NEW TESTS... AND YOU WONT BELIEVE THAT 5 DIFFERENT DOCTORS CONFIRMED IT THAT AM NEGATIVE..IT WAS LIKE A DREAM,,I NEVER BELIEVE AIDS HAS CURE..AM NOW NEGATIVE,,AM A LIVING WITNESS..I DONT KNOW HOW TO THANK THIS MAN... I JUST WANT TO HELP OTHERS IN ANY WAY I CAN..HAVE JOINED MANY FORUMS AND HAVE POSTED THIS TESTIMONIES AND ALOT OF PEOPLE HAS MAIL AND CALLED THIS MAN ON PHONE AND AFTER 2 WEEKS THEY ALL CONFIRMED NEGATIVE..BBC NEWS TOOK IT LIVE AND EVERY.. HOPE HE HELPS YOU OUT.. EVERYBODY SAW IT AND ITS NOW OUT IN PAPERS AND MAGAZINES THAT THERE'S NATIVE CURE FOR HIV AND ALL WITH THE HELP OF THIS MAN,,HAVE TRIED MY OWN PARTS AND ALL LEFT WITH YOU,,IF YOU LIKE TAKE IT OR NOT..GOD KNOWS HAVE TRIED MY BEST.ABOUT 97 PEOPLE HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE THROUGH ME..AND THEY SEND MAILS TO THANKS ME AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE,,THIS MAN IS REAL..DON'T MISS THIS CHANCE,,HIV IS A DEADLY VIRUS,,GET RID OF IT NOW..
case there is anyone who has similar problem and still

looking for a way out, and he those cast all kind of spell like ::
Love Spells
Luck, Money Spells
Health, Well Being
Protection, Healing
Curses, ex, Breakups
NEW! Combo Spells
High Priestess Spells
Vampire Spells
Authentic Voodoo Spells
Custom, Other Spells
Business spells
Health/Healing spells
Curse removal
Job spells
Healing from all kind of diseases
Love binding
Barrenness(need a child)
Need love
Lottery Spells
Promotions
Success
Money rituals
winning court case
Divorce spells
Low sperm count
Infertility in women
Breast enlargement/reduction
Penis enlargement/reduction
YOU CAN CONTACT HIM HERE AS (dr.abalaka@outlook.com) if you need any question contact me via here as 1001madonado@gmail.com Wish you good luck and good health
Alecia MaLdonaldo